Before Travel Jitters

As my study abroad trip to Guayaquil, Ecuador neared, I started to feel very anxious and nervous about my arrival. I did not know what to expect, so my mind was consumed with different outcomes and possibilities. The only advice I received was general advice from the KEI program, information from blog posts of previous girls who studied abroad in Guayaquil, and tips from my grandfathers friend who lived here. Although they were very helpful and helped me prepare for my trip, I still felt very uneasy. In fact, the night before traveling I could not go to sleep because of my wandering mind. I thought about the dangers of the city, the different food, how hard it would be to adapt to the lifestyle, and of course if anyone would be able to speak English. That was definitely the most nerve-wracking part. I had excelled in Spanish courses in the past, but I was nowhere near fluent. Despite these intimidating circumstances, I created a list of goals I have for myself so that I can grow as a person while I am in Ecuador.

Goals:

1. Immerse myself in the culture as much as I can. Go out, learn, and try not to say no to new things. Having an open mind will help to me to grow and become more culturally oriented.
2. SPEAK SPANISH! Unfortunately, I am the type of person who does not like to be wrong so I stay quiet if I do not know something. While I am in Guayaquil, I want to try to step out of my comfort zone and speak as much Spanish as I can. My goal is to be able to hold a conversation with native Spanish speakers by the time I leave Ecuador.
3. See as much as I can. I want to travel and see all the things Ecuador has in store for me. It is a beautiful place, and I know I will love it.
3. Make friends and connections. This is always important everywhere you go, so why not try in a different country!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Days 9-10: Cuenca y Muchas Fotos !!!

Days 56-59: The Galapagos Islands

Days 4-5: Settling In