Days 56-59: The Galapagos Islands

Keke and I finally got to take a trip for the first time in a month and it was to the famous Galapagos Islands. I was very excited for this trip because I have been learning about Charles Darwin and evolution for years, so now I get to see and experience this amazing island.

Day 1

Keke and I flew to the Galapagos Islands on Thursday, October 31st. We flew into the smallest airport I have ever seen and then took a bus and ferry to Santa Cruz Island. From there, we took a taxi to our hotel, but on the way we stopped at "Los Gemelos," which are two twin craters in the earth. The craters were huge and the climate was completely different. For example, when we first arrived to Santa Cruz, the climate was very hot and it was desert like. The ground was dry and there were cacti everywhere, but at the craters, it was very cool and chilly with a lot of vegetation. It was very cool to see the difference in climate within just a few miles of each other.


The weather when arriving to Galapagos




The weather when arriving to Los Gemelos




After checking into our hotel, Keke and I went to the Charles Darwin Research Station and a small beach. At the station, they work on conservation, restoration, and sustainable development projects to help keep the islands clean and safe for the animals. While we were there, we had a tour guide talk to us about plants and animals native to the Galapagos and we saw the tortoise conservation center, where they breed tortoises and then put them on their native islands. We also learned about recycling efforts; the people of the Galapagos are very committed to keeping their island and ocean clean.

Lonesome George




The beach was very small, but very gorgeous.



I was told that Ecuadorians do not typically celebrate Halloween and that kids do not trick or treat in Guayaquil; however in the Galapagos, kids dress up and trick or treat on the principle street of Santa Cruz in stores and resturants.





















Day 2

On the second day of our trip, we took a tour of the Bahia in Puerto Ayora. We were on a ship with other tourist and we went snorkeling with fish and sea turtles. We also got to observe blue footed boobies and marine iguanas.



Then we went to "Playa de Los Perros" where we were able to see many marine iguanas.



We also stopped at "Canal del Amor." Here it is said that if you and your partner enter the canal together, you will leave with an extra person.




We also went to Las Grietas. It was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.




After the tour, Keke and I decided to go to a beach called Tortuga Bay. It was so peaceful and stunning. The sand was white and the water was a sparkling light blue. I was amazed at its beauty.















Day 3

On our third day, we decided to go on a snorkeling tour of another island. The tour was from 8-4 and cost $110, but it was definitely worth it. We went to Pinzon Island which was about an hour and 45 minutes away from Santa Cruz. There, we went snorkeling with sea turtles, sea lions, and sharks. It was a beautiful experience, but the water was extremely cold and left my fingers numb, so I was not able to snorkel at the next location. The other location was at Santa Fe, where we saw more sea turtles and sea lions, but we also saw a king sting ray and a lot of marine iguanas mating. We also walked along the beach and saw a group of sea lions playing in the water with each other. It was a beautiful and unforgettable experience.





After that, I went to the cemetery because it was November 2, which is El Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead). Before coming to Ecudaor, I learned about Day of the Dead in school and it was what made me fall in love with Latin culture and Spanish. I was truly blessed to be able to experience this holiday in a Latin country. At the cemetery, I walked around and observed all of the different ofrendas people made their deceased family members and I watched as families joined together for this holiday. In my opinion, in American culture when someone dies, families tend to fall apart or break up, but it was amazing to see these families come together to light candles and tell stories of their family. At one tomb stone, there was a group of 15 people all laughing and joking and just enjoying their time with each other. This was one of the most heartwarming things I have ever experienced and it made me fall in love with the culture even more than before.






After that, Keke and walked around the principle street and shopped at some local stores. We also went to the local artesenal market and bought some souvenirs. The people in Galapagos do not barter like the people in Guayaquil, which was kind of a surprise to us.



In Santa Cruz, there was a street that sold only fresh seafood. There were dozens of restaurants that sold different types of fish and seafood with different plates and dishes. Keke and I ordered Parilla de Marisco which was a platter of grilled seafood that had shrimp, fish, octopus, and squid. We also ordered a half grilled and half garlic lobster all for $40. Since Keke and I shared, we only spent $20 on a large amount of fresh seafood! I loved it.








On our last night, Keke and I went to a discotec for the first time! Discotecs are very popular here in Ecuador and there are a ton in Guayaquil, but we were told it was not safe to go alone. Instead, we decided to go with a very nice lady we met in the Galapagos and we danced the night away! It was a very different setting than a club at home, there were a lot of couples dancing and everyone danced a different way, but I really enjoyed the experience.



Day 4

Unfortunately the only thing that occurred was that we got on our flight back home. It was sad to say goodbye, but it is an experience I will never forget and will forever keep in my heart.




Other things that happened/ I noticed:
  • Keke and I decided to travel with a travel agency, but after our trip we realized it would have been cheaper to plan and do everything ourselves. If you plan to travel to the Galapagos, just take the extra time to plan your trip rather than go through an agency, because Keke and I lost a lot of money. 
  • People in the Galapagos speak much slower than those in Guayaquil
  • Sea lions are like the dogs of the Galapagos. You can find them anywhere!
  • The tourist in the Galapagos were all very friendly! Almost everyone we met asked us to go out with them for drinks or dancing and they were all very friendly and shared their stories with us. We met people from the U.S, Belgium, Italy, France, Spain, and Hungary. 44

    This is our friend Albert from Oregon!
Other Pictures:



Comments

  1. Hello, I love your blog! I found it while researching Guayaquil because I might study abroad there! I saw/read you also went to Cuenca! Those are actually the two cities Im trying to decide on! I would love to hear more about what you thought of Cuenca!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Days 9-10: Cuenca y Muchas Fotos !!!

Day 2: A Tour of Guayaquil